sábado, 3 de septiembre de 2022

Ratpoison news in 2022?

I've been using the same obscure window manager since about 2003. I remember using it in 'Fedora Core 2'(released in 2004).

Lately I've thought about moving to something that behaves better with Zoom, but I really couldn't find an alternative.

 

There's https://github.com/jcs/sdorfehs , which comes from ratpoison, and it's maintained by jcs. It has the latest ratpoison patches that didn't make it to the last stable ratpoison release, and a few new features.  Well.... it turns out one of the new features breaks my workflow, so for me, this is a "nope".

I also thought about using evilwm, which is a floating wm with ratpoison shortcuts (more or less). But I do like tiling.  So maybe the combination of ratpoison and evilwm (via tmpwm) would be the sweetest spot. I remember using that config years ago, but now you have to make sure to have the latest ratpoison built from git, because tmpwm breaks on multiple screens.

Something I discovered just this week is this youtube channel from a user called root_sti. The videos are great(great music), showing neat configurations and a million scripts and tunings, using dzen2, fzf, evilwm, ratpoison, and voidlinux. And all configs are here. Lots of shellscript there :).

Maybe using sxhkd and emulating the shortcuts via wmctl... not sure

Also, a funny video just from a few minutes ago in hackernews. The first tiling window manager (1988)

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

StumpWM: created by RP author, handles multi-head, completely customizable at runtime in CL